Dept of Expenditure warns against extending the free food scheme: Report




The finance ministry’s Department of Expenditure has argued against extending the beyond September or announcing any significant tax cuts, warning of the consequences for the Centre’s fiscal position, a report said.



The government in March extended the PMGKAY, the free food ration scheme rolled out during the Covid-led lockdown, for six months till September. The Centre has allocated Rs 2.07 trillion for food subsidies in the current fiscal year, while the extension of PMGKAY till September is expected to increase the bill to nearly Rs 2.87 trillion, The Economic Times reported.


If the government decides to extend the scheme further, it would cost the Centre another Rs 80,000 crore for another six months, swelling the amount for FY23 to Rs 3.7 trillion.


Also Read: ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ programme implemented across India


More tax cuts or extensions would adversely hit the fiscal math, the union finance ministry’s Department of Expenditure said in an internal note. The department said, “In particular, it is not advisable to continue the PMGKAY beyond its present extension, both on the grounds of food security and on fiscal grounds,” quoted ET.


The Centre’s recent decisions to extend free ration, hike fertiliser subsidy, reintroduce cooking gas subsidy, excise duty cut on petrol, diesel and cut in customs duty on edible oils have created a serious fiscal situation, the department said.


The Centre’s move last month to cut excise duty on fuel to soften the blow of will cause a revenue loss of about Rs 1 trillion, the note said.


To curb inflation, the Centre last month announced a reduction of excise duties on petrol and diesel by Rs 8 and Rs 6, respectively. At the same time, it also announced a subsidy of Rs 200 per domestic LPG cylinder for up to 12 cylinders in a year.


For FY23, the government has budgeted a of 6.4 per cent of GDP, while Fitch Ratings expect it to be 6.8 per cent due to higher subsidies and revenue loss due to duty cuts.

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor



First Published: Fri, June 24 2022. 09:41 IST





Source link

Leave a Comment